Easy courgette cake
This simple, subtly spicy easy courgette cake is deliciously moist and a great way to use up a glut of courgettes.
less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
- 80ml/2¾fl oz vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 150g/5½oz light brown sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 160g/5⅔oz courgette, coarsely grated
- 180g/6⅓oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin and line with a long strip of baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the oil, light brown sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in the grated courgette.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Tip the dry ingredients into the courgette mixture and stir until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle the top with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45–55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely before slicing.
EASY COURGETTE CAKE
For more fun, easy recipes click HERE